Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Psalm 119: Your Word is a Light On My Path

The focus of Psalm 119 is the word of God.
There are eight different words that describe the word of God in this psalm:

  1. Law: 25 times. Refers to the Torah 
    (the Pentateuch or the five books of Moses).
  2. Word (the Hebrew word "dabar"): 24 times. The spoken word to man.
  3. Judgements: 23 times. God's word is the judge of our lives.
  4. Testimonies: 23 times. Witnesses as in a trial.
  5. Commandments: 22 times. Something that God commands.
  6. Statutes: 21 times. The authority of the word.
  7. Precepts: 21 times. Specific instructions or directives.
  8. Word (the Hebrew word "imrah"): 19 times. General applications.

"Blessed are those whose way is blamelesswho walk in the law of the Lord!" (Psalm 119:1). Blameless doesn't mean being perfect or living a perfect life.
I
t means not being the subject of accusations. Note also that the Mosaic Laws
isn't a way to be saved, see Jesus and the Law

Those who seek God with all their hearts are also in a blessed state
(Psalm 119:2b, 10a)
, see The Parable of the Persistent Widow.

"This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.
(Psalm 119:50). We can seek help from God's word in our suffering, see for example Psalm 69: Growing in the Darkness. Our hope isn't based in anything this world has to offer, it's based in our God who gives us hope and has promised us life, see Faith, Hope, and Agape Love.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Psalm 119:105).
The picture is the illumination of the road ahead. It keeps me from stumbling. 

"The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple."
(Psalm 119:130). The more we study or meditate on God's word, the more it unfolds to us, the more we understand its meaning.

"You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word." (Psalm 119:114).
God is my shield and my protection. "You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance."
 (Psalm 32:7).

"The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.(Psalm 119:160).