Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Introduction to Interpretation of the Bible

What I believe

I believe that the Bible is the inspired and only infallible and authoritative
written word of God, see Misconceptions and Objections and 
How can I know the Bible is reliable and authoritative?

I also believe in:

The Blog

This Blog contains interpretations of the entire Bible, based on the authority of God's word in the Bible and not on my own opinions about how
I think it should be, see time 3:53–6:45 in 1 Peter 3 (Part 2) :8-22. 

The focus of this Blog is on the following:

  1. Apologetics:
    Defense of the truth of Christianity through 
    reasoned and logical arguments based on the Bible.
     
  2. Exegesis:
    Methodological interpretation of the 
    Bible (John 10:24–25, 37–38). 
  3. Eschatology:
    The doctrine of end times; the ultimate destiny of mankind,
    with a focus on the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
  4. Science:
    Give scientific proofs that support the Christian Bible
    .
When I read or listen to teachings in my research, I try to do what the Jews in Berea did when they heard the gospel (Acts 17:10–12). I review the teachings according to the Bible, letting Scripture interpret Scripture. Then when I write the articles, I try to make them easy to read and understand, while at the same time giving instruction in the wisdom and truth of God's word with clarity and insight. 

I see the verses in the Bible as a puzzle where every piece has to fit. When interpreting a text in the Bible it must be seen in its context. This means reading the verses before and after a verse being interpreted and also parallel verses in the Bible
that talk about similar things. It's only OK to use a verse out of context when the context is universal. For example, when something is said about God or about his nature, because God never changes. Examples of
universal texts are the following:

  • Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life.
    No one comes to the Father except through me.
    " (John 14:6).
  • "No one is good except God alone." (Mark 10:18b, Luke 18:19b).
  • "No one can serve two masters . . ." (Mat 6:24a).
  • "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16). 
    God's love is always part of his nature, see God's Attributes.
  •  "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
    (Heb 4:12). God's word never goes out of time. It affects people.
We must also not draw conclusions based on the silence of the Bible, see time
16:40–18:41 in May 2024 Bible Q&A

Apostle Paul says the following about the Old Testament: "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
(Rom 15:4). This is also applicable for the New Testament.

Before I write in the Blog, I do a lot of research from other people who have studied the Bible for many years, and who in turn have done their own research from other people. I'm not trying to "reinvent the wheel". 

I use the tool Blue Letter Bible and several Bible translations such as the 
English Standard Version (ESV), New King James Version (NKJV),
New International Version (NIV), and New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Swedish Bible translation I mostly use is Svenska Folkbibeln

Information on how to use the Blog:

  • By clicking on a link (marked as a red underlined text) in an article,
    you will come to the called article or to an explanation of some kind.
    Return by clicking on the return sign (arrow top left).
  • Clicking on an image will make it larger. Return by clicking the <ESC> button.
  • The "Blog Archive" to the right can be used as an index to find a specific article. This can be done by clicking on an arrow to the right. Clicking on the article will open it. 

Comments

I welcome constructive criticism and comments which can be sent to the address:
bibletextinterpretation@gmail.com
 
I try to answer all emails I receive. 
I live south of Stockholm, Sweden's capital,
and can give the answers in English or Swedish.

How to proceed

Continue by clicking on one of the following links:

For information on the Intertestamental period, which is the time between
Old Testament and New Testament, see the following videos: